Since 2003 the Liechtenstein National Museum has been located in a complex comprising several buildings: two historic constructions, the former Princely Tavern and the Administrator’s House, and a more recent extension built between 1999 and 2003.
The modern-day site of the National Museum was occupied from 13th/14th century by residential and commercial buildings that housed the administrative staff of the ruling Counts. Work to extend and renovate the buildings then led to the creation of the Administrator’s House. In around 1440 a further building, with interior decora-tion typical of the period, was constructed nearby. Also belonging to the Counts, it was later used as an inn, first bearing the name ‘Zum Hirschen’ (‘Deer Inn’) and later ‘Zum Adler’ (‘Eagle Inn’).
Both buildings were extended and changed several times and assumed a number of different functions. From 1594 the Administrator’s House was the official residence and seat of the highest Princely official (known as the ‘Landvogt’ and later the ‘Landesverweser’, hence the German name ‘Verweserhaus’). In the first half of the 19th century it housed the government and was used as a meeting place for the ‘Ständelandtag’, a precursor to today’s parliament. The Princely Tavern remained an inn until 1856, before serving as the seat of the national government between 1865 and 1905. In 1972 it became home to the Liechtenstein National Museum.
Opened in 1994, the Farmhouse Museum (Bäuerliches Wohnmuseum) in Schellenberg is also part of the National Museum and showcases the traditional lifestyle and customs of the local farming community. The museum itself is located in the Biedermann-Haus, a wooden farmhouse dating back to 1518. During its long history the building has been dis-mantled, moved and reassembled at new locations in Schellenberg on several occasions.
The Postal Museum, first founded in 1930 and part of the National Museum since 2006, has been located in the English Building in Vaduz since 1957. The building was originally constructed as business premises for an English lottery company and served a range of purposes following the closure of the lottery in 1934.